— Former Governor Jack Markell
Delaware CAN (Contraceptive Access Now) is a partnership between Upstream and the state of Delaware aimed at reducing the rate of unintended pregnancy.
Launched in 2014, our comprehensive, statewide plan is increasing access for all women in Delaware to the full range of contraceptive methods, including the most effective, IUDs and implants. Upstream provides the training, technical assistance, and quality improvement to all publicly funded health centers and the largest private providers in the state.
Our goal is to improve public health by creating an environment where the women of Delaware are empowered to become pregnant only if and when they want to.
— Janice E. Nevin, M.D., MPH, President and CEO, Christiana Care Health System
In a report released by Child Trends using available contraceptive data from 2014 to 2017, LARC use increased from 13.7 to 31.5 percent among Delaware Title X family planning clients ages 20 to 39.
This observed movement from moderately effective methods to highly effective LARCs, paired with a small decrease in no method use, was linked to a substantial simulated decrease (24.2 percent) in the unintended pregnancy rate among this population from 2014 to 2017.
The complete report, including methodology and limitations, was commissioned by Upstream and can be found at Child Trends.
Simulated unintended pregnancy rates, Title X family planning clients aged 20-39* in Delaware and the United States, 2014-2017
Source: FamilyScape simulations using state-level Title X data from Delaware and from U.S. Title X data, 2014-2017
*Study limited to women at risk of unintended pregnancy (sexually active and not pregnant or seeking pregnancy). Complete methodology and limitations can be found at Child Trends.
Participating health care providers:
- Adolescent Resource Center, Children & Families First
- All About Women
- Bayhealth Medical Center
- Bayside Health Association
- Bear Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
- Beebe Women’s Health
- The Birth Center, Holistic Women’s Health Care LLC
- Brandywine Women’s Health
- Children and Families First Delaware: Nurse Home Visitor Programs
- Christiana Care Health System
- Dedicated to Women
- Delaware Division of Public Health
- Delaware Ob Gyn and Women’s Health
- Delaware Center of Excellence in Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Henrietta Johnson Medical Center
- Khan Obstetrics and Gynecology Associates
- La Red Health Center
- Life Health Center
- Nanticoke Memorial Hospital
- Nanticoke Physician Network – Women’s Health
- Office of Dr. Janice Tildon-Burton
- Planned Parenthood of Delaware
- University of Delaware Nurse Managed Primary Care Center
- Westside Family Healthcare